Friday, January 7, 2011

AFTER the HOLIDAYS

I had hoped to keep on writing right up to Christmas, but all my projects got in the way! At least this way I'll have more ornaments/decorations to show you next December! This year has started out as crazy as ever. I told my younger daughter that I would babysit for 5 month old Ryan on Tuesdays and Thursdays while she teaches at a nearby junior high. Ryan had his first day at day care on Monday. Tuesday here went well because I had my stitching friends over in the morning, and they love to hold him. Tried to get him down for a nap in the afternoon, but he was having none of that! My neighborhood book group was due to arrive at 1, but still no napping baby. One of the gals walked around with him during most of the meeting. Of course, he loves to be held. We discussed the book Zeitoun which was about one man's story of his time during Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. I thought it was a very interesting book—very readable. I don't think most of us realized what went on there during and after Katrina. I'd recommend the book. It is a fast read.

Ryan finger painted in his explorers group at day care on Wednesday! They really do neat things there.  Yesterday he came over again, and though his mom had talked with him about being a good napper, he only took a morning nap and 1/2 hour in the afternoon. I think I am going to have to buy a "portable" crib either the smaller size or regular because trying to lift him at over 15 pounds from a pack and play is not easy even with all my yoga. Changing him on the coffee table is not ideal either. Hopefully, he will get used to his new schedule so he can relax and nap here more. I did make 16 burp cloths for Linda to give as gifts for some of her friends who are expecting. Just serged the flannel on my serger--much easier than sewing and turning right side out, etc.

SHAWLS-
I wanted to show you some of the gifts I made for Christmas for some of my family and my yoga teacher. I made 2 more of the pattern La La's Simple shawl. You can find this pattern for free online at  Ravelry.  It is an easy pattern and fun to knit. I found this boucle yarn at Joanne Fabrics and a shawl takes about $10 worth of yarn.

I had made this one for Linda, but Katie wanted to trade and gave Linda her purple one. I was just happy that my girls like them and want to wear them. Used my blocking wires that I bought at the welding supply store, and they worked great.



Made the same pattern for my yoga teacher Sharon. Thought it would knit in the same color pattern as the one above since it was the same yarn but in a different color way. It came out a bit stripy but I like it too. The black boucle is wonderful because it doesn't show when I have made a mistake. Sometimes I couldn't even tell the front from the back.



QUILTS-
I had a bunch of holiday/snowmen fabric in my stash and wanted to use it so I made this lap quilt (about 60+ x 72") for my niece Corey. I made it just like a band sampler cutting apart the snowmen fabric and inserting bands of other fabrics. Used a plaid for the backing. Love the swirls template that I used for the quilting. It takes more time than freehand but I like the pattern.



This is the quilt hanging on my design wall. I have covered 3 different pieces of 1"foam insulation in 4 x 6 sheets with grey felt. The binding is red. Corey likes things somewhat plain.


This is my nephew Matt's quilt—more Xmas fabric. This time old-fashioned Santas.


Quilted it on my long-arm machine with freehand swirls using red thread. This is part of the back. I like using pieced backings as a way to use up my fabric.


This is the back of Matt's quilt hanging on my design wall.




I hoped he would not think this quilt too "girly."


 This is Corey's quilt on my long arm machine as I was quilting it.


My bolt of extra batting is hanging below the frame. On the wall is a sampler quilt I made in a class several years ago when I first started quilting seriously. The wonderful thing about quilting on a frame is that you don't have to pin the quilt sandwich together on your hands and knees on your floor.


 This is my neighbor Bev at my frame quilting her doggie quilt that she is going to give to her 2 year old grandson in California.


Over the New Year's weekend I worked on getting stuff ready for the tax man. Figured out that I had made about 700 bandannas for the Golden Retriever rescue group here in northern Illinois. Did not realize that it was so many. Now I am going to make table cloths for their meet and greet tables at the pet stores. They bring the adopted dogs and hand out information and adoption forms. They needed some bright table cloths. Am going to try to put "Golden Retriever Rescue" in large black letters on the gold-colored cloths. Can't decide whether I have to applique them or stencil them with fabric paint. The fabric is inexpensive polyester. Painting would be quicker I suppose once I got it set up. We'll see.

Better go now. Have lots to do this weekend. Am reading the latest in the Nora Roberts wedding series--lots of fluff but a nice light read for these gloomy days of January here in the midwest. --Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers